Feature Request Details

Improve Import for .mtl Materials

I just started digging around in Project Felix and it is kind of a huge time safer for me, as I often have to put 3D Models into pictures for clients, also for animating them further in AE and in Cinema 4D this takes a lot of time - BUT I often get the 3D models with an .mtl Material or just a Cinema 4D file.

It would be great to be able to import those models with their materials right into Project Felix.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SinaSina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    gathering feedback  ·  Jeanette MathewsAdminJeanette Mathews (Admin, Project Felix) responded  · 

Hello! We actually already do this (to some degree)!

If you have an .obj with an .mtl and associated textures Felix will read it and import the textures along with the file. However, there are definitely some bugs with this, we haven’t caught all the cases by any means. We do a conversion into our own material system, so the materials aren’t a direct 1-1.

What would be great is if you can submit a ticket with your file for testing. The more use cases we have, the better we can explore and fix all the cases from different programs. It would be for testing only, not distributed or used in any way. If not possible, that’s okay too, we’re working on it, but examples help!

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SinaSina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback!
        I noticed, that my materials had the same name, but were shown completely transparent. I will submit a ticket. Thanks a lot. Great what you guys are doing. Helps me so much with making my workflow faster.

Feedback and Knowledge Base