Feature Request Details

Pattern material is not seamless

I am not familiar with 3D enough to know if this is possible or not, but when applying material that has a pattern to, for instance, a sphere, there is an obvious seam in the pattern on the circumference of the sphere, giving the effect of a separate material on each half of the sphere. A way to eliminate that seam would be nice.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an interesting topic but it’s not something I have an easy answer for. The seams are caused by… well seams. ;) In order to put an image onto a 3D model the model is essentially cut up and flatted into 2D image space. The seams you’re seeing are the places that the 3D model have been sliced in order to lay it out flat.

There are some other ways to cut the model to reduce the amount of visible seams or ‘fake’ the seamless-ness across the seam. I don’t really have an answer on what we’re doing here yet, but it’s a great topic and I’d love some more feedback on this from what you might expect.

For example:
    - Do you want control on where those seams are placed?
    - Is it most important to you that there be no seams or that the image be very smooth (no distortion/warping?)
    - Do you think it would be helpful to see the 2D layout of the model and image?

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter BrooksPeter Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To deal with the seams the object require uv mapping, which is found in high end 3D programs. This solves stretching of the pattern in long areas in non uniform areas.
        I don't think project Felix is ready for this

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The seams only become a problem if I need to angle the object in such a way that the seams can be seen, or if the object is animated (rotating). In the case of angling the object, yes, it would be nice to control where the seams are. All in all, it's no huge deal. As you pointed out, there are other ways around it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base